Sunday, January 22, 2017

RockMUN!!

       Last Friday I stayed after school because I had to walk over to Blackrock College for a MUN conference at 5 PM. The conference at Blackrock College was called RockMUN and it started Friday at 5 PM, and also continued from 9AM-5PM on Saturday, the next day. I had brought a suit to school Friday because everyone had to dress really nice. We all changed into our fancy clothes after school, and we walked over to Blackrock College at around 5 PM.

         How it works is, I am part of a Delegation, but in that Delegation I am in my own Committee. I am in the Delegation of Israel along with 5 other people, but I am in the Committee of ECOFIN, which is short for Economics and Finance. In each Committee there are 3 topics that we are to be made aware of, because that is what the Resolutions are going to be about. A Resolution is the Piece of paper that everybody discusses in their own Committee. It is basically just answering a question of one of the points on the page below.

       This paper is a list of the Committees and each of their issues that the resolutions were about.


         We arrived at Blackrock College at about 5:15 PM and we had Lobbying, then we had Dinner, then we had our first Committee Session. That is where people would submit resolutions, then we would talk about them, submit amendments for them, and in the end we would all vote for or against the certain resolution. One resolution takes about 45 minutes to debate over. After that, we were able to go home at 9 PM, and we would all come back Saturday at 9 AM.

        Here is a picture of what our schedule looked like for RockMUN. 


         Saturday, I got back to Blackrock College before 9 AM, so I was really early, since arrival was from 9 AM - 9:30 AM. We had our second Committee Session from 9:30 AM until 12:45 PM, so it took about 3 hours. It was fun, and then we had lunch, which was really good, we had lasagna and potatoes. We had about a 3 Hour GA meeting, which was everybody attending RockMUN, which was a lot. Keep in mind this is not only St. Andrews students, there are students from all over here at this conference. In GA, we sat in our Delegations, so Israel sat together, and China and etc. I spoke once and if anyone spoke one of the admins would run over to you and give you a mic because there were so many people we had to use the speakers. At the end Ms. Moran took pictures of Israel as a delegation and of all the St. Andrews students. Hopefully I will be able to show those later once I get them. 

     Overall it was a very good first conference for me, and very fun also. The end of Saturday people got awards and people said some speeches, then I took the bus home, and got some Subway. 

      -January 21, 2017 (SATURDAY)


1 comment:

  1. MUN stands for Model United Nations, for those who may be curious...

    ReplyDelete